Wedding Guest Dress Update III: First Mock Up
This is the first mock up of the bodice and from just a quick test fit there is going to be a bit of tweaking that needs to be done. I'm long all over and I was using a standard bodice block that I drafted ages ago. I have one that I drafted to my own measurements but it's somewhere... To make this pattern fit better I'll have to:
- modify the sleeve cap and add more room
- lengthen the torso so that the waist hits at my waistline which is about an inch and some longer than my bodice block
- seam the darts since I hate hate flappy darts
Tomorrow I'll cut this bad boy apart and add and take away where needed. I think I'll add gussets to the sleeve to make it more comfortable and then tweak the neckline so it's a bit more alluring. Fitting, for me, is the most frustrating yet mentally stimulating and rewarding part of the whole design process. One day I'll have a dress form with exactly my measurements and curvature and drape with wild abandon. Until that day comes I'll have to do many more test fits than I care to or I could, if I like myself enough, just draft a new set of bodice blocks from this pattern once I finish making the tweaks; aside from the neckline it is almost exactly a basic bodice. That would be the intelligent thing to do and I do like myself quite a lot.
Wishing you a happy Monday!
If you're wondering why I didn't do the skirt it's not necessary right now since I'll be drafting it from the final measurements of the bodice . Plus, a circle skirt is about the easiest thing in the world to do and I'd rather spend my time fiddling with getting the sleeves and neckline just right.